Security is of highest priority in the computer world and computer security has always been a hot topic among computer users and webmasters. Knowledge is the key to safe computing in the computer world. Among many key components safe computing, registry cleaners have always been a matter of discussion. This review of top ten registry cleaners is to introduce you to the best registry cleaners, their usage, benefits, compatibility with various operating systems. This review will also help answering your questions about the usage of registry cleaners, what are they, why use them and more. To fully understand the concept of a registry cleaner you need to understand what is Windows registry.
Top Ten Registry Cleaners
Based on our analysis, testing and reports, these registry cleaners qualify for the list of top ten registry cleaners. Millions of computer users world-wide have tested them and their reviews can be found on the best places on the internet. We have already done all the research work in order to minimize your work for finding the best registry cleaners for your computer.
- Advanced Registry Fix – Advanced Registry Fix is an award-winning Windows Registry Cleaner that helps you scan your PC. Compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7. This registry cleaner not only cleans registry but also fixes the errors. It costs just $19.95, it is among the lowest priced registry cleaners. This is the best registry cleaner in my opinion!
Click to visit Advanced Registry Fix website
- RegistryFix Mantra – RegistryFix Mantra is an advanced registry cleaner and almost as good as Advanced Registry Fix. Both of these software are top level and the best among other registry cleaners. Compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7.
Click to visit RegistryFix Mantra website
- Registry Easy – Registry Easy is an award-winning Windows Registry Cleaner that helps you scan your PC. Compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7.
Click to visit RegistryEasy website
- Registry Winner – Registry Winner is an advanced multi-language registry cleaner in pc diagnosis and repair. It can do a complete scan of the PC errors such as system slowdown, freezing, crashing and deadlock. Compatible with Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7.
Click to visit RegistryWinner website
- ErrorFix Registry Cleaner – ErrorFix offers users a chance to restore to their PCs to optimal performance. The software constitutes the industry’s leading error scanning and repair technology. Compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7.
Click to visit ErrorFix website
- RegTool Registry Cleaner – RegTooL is a great choice for those who need to clean a corrupted Registry safely and efficiently. Compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7.
Click to visit RegTool website
- Registry Fix – RegistryFix scans for errors related to activeX controls, DLL issues, Windows explorer errors, Windows installer issues, Internet Explorer errors, Iexpore and System32 errors, Runtime errors, Outlook and Outlook Express Errors, EXE errors, Svchost errors and a wide variety of other system issues. Compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP.
Click to visit RegistryFix website
- Registry Genius – Registry Genius is the award-winning Windows Registry repair and system optimize suite which can be used to repair, compact your PC’s Registry files/entries and optimize your Windows settings to the optimal speed you ever had. Compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7.
Click to visit RegistryGenius website
- RegistryToolKit – Registrytoolkit registry cleaner increases system speed and stability by removing corrupted registry files with the award winning registry cleaning software. Compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7.
Click to visit RegistryToolkit website
- Registry Gear – Registry Gear can perform physical defragmentation for Windows registry file. It is designed to be safe to use. All operations on registry will have the backups. You can UNDO the operations and restore the backups in just one click. Compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7 (x86/x64).
Click to visit RegistryGear website
- Registry Care – RegistryCare’s advanced detection gives you the extra stability from your windows installation. It empties up your cache giving extra free space, deletes your URL history for extra privacy and more features. Compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7.
Click to visit RegistryGear website
- RegAce Registry Cleaner – RegAce combines ultimate technology with user friendly design to make one of the easiest and most effective registry cleaners available. RegAce is compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista 32 and 64Bit/Windows 7.
Click to visit RegAce website
What is Windows Registry
In general terms, Windows registry is a part of the Microsoft Windows operating system that stores all the configuration settings for all the hardware and software components installed on your computer. Windows Registry is a hierarchical database that stores configuration settings and options on Microsoft Windows operating systems. Read the Wikipedia article on Windows registry to find out more information about how it works. It is not recommended to manually edit the registry but make it a thumb rule to backup your Windows registry before trying anything because it is the backbone of Windows operating system. Most good registry cleaners have the capability to backup a copy of the registry before cleaning it.
What is a Registry Cleaner
The term “registry cleaner” comes from the Microsoft Windows operating system registry. Windows registry is the most important part of the windows operating system, which stores all the information about hardware and software components on your computer system. To better understand the definition and concept of a registry cleaner, you could refer to the Wikipedia article on registry cleaners. The article provides detailed information about definition, purpose, advantages, disadvantages and more. One thing to remember, while there are extremely good registry cleaners, there also exist some free registry cleaners that are instead bad for your computer. You should be extremely cautious while downloading anything from the internet. This review is to highlight the best registry cleaners that are safe for your computer.
How a Registry Cleaner works
Registry cleaner removes configuration data or unwanted items from the Windows registry that is no longer in use. A registry cleaner scans the registry, and attempts to pick out the unnecessary values in order to delete or repair them. The functioning is just like your antivirus software when it scans your computer and removes any infected files. A good registry cleaner is designed to scan registry items and find traces of only the bad/useless items, either repair them or completely remove them in order to protect your Windows registry from any sort of damage. Some of the good characteristics of a good registry cleaner software are offering backup and restore functions that allow the user to revert changes made by the registry cleaner in case they are undesired. The main function of a registry cleaner is to automate the process of looking for invalid entries, missing file references or broken links within the registry and resolving them.
Why use a registry cleaner
This is an excellent question and the answer is simple. If you love maintenance and understand the importance of maintenance, you will love using a registry cleaner. Computer users install various components from time-to-time to enhance a computer and make it more usable. Whenever we install a new software or hardware component, it registers its keys in the Windows registry which is important for the functionality of hardware/software to work as desired. Over the time, we install or uninstall/remove some software/hardware as we no longer need it. Sometimes the keys in the registry are not removed when we uninstall components from the computer. This leaves dead keys that are good for nothing. Also, when a computer is infected with a virus, spyware or malware and we use a good antivirus software to remove the malware, it may leave active/dead keys in the registry. These keys should be removed in order to fully protect your computer from malware, specially the entries created by spyware. Spyware is designed to spy on your computer and open ports on your computer to invite more spyware from the internet, so it is very important to remove a spyware completely from your computer. That is when a registry cleaner is extremely helpful. It removes all the redundant or unwanted items from your registry and cleans it free from any spyware/virus keys. A good registry cleaner is needed to fix registry errors and optimize your PC.
Do I really need a registry cleaner
No you don’t, if you don’t install anything on your computer. If you don’t install any software or any new hardware on your computer and never uninstall anything you have previously installed, you may not need it. However, the chances are that 99.99% people do install something or the other over the time. The whole idea of using computers is to make your life easier, you can’t simply stop using your computer in order to keep your computer safe from malware. The key, is to stay cautious of your activities while using your computer, do not install anything without knowing what you are installing and definitely not without making sure that you are installing something “trusted”. Let’s not get into a lengthy discussion about what you should do with your computer, you are smart and knowledgeable, the idea is to stay safe and maintain Registry hygiene while being very choosy with what you install. Secondly, you may need a registry cleaner if you are experiencing any of these situations:
- Computer running slow
- Sluggish performance
- Frequent errors or pop-ups
- Errors at computer startup
- System crashing or stalling
- Blue screens of death
- Malware or scareware indications
Registry Cleaner Price Comparison
|Advanced Registry Fix||6.1 MB||$19.95||Download|
|RegistryFix Mantra||1.1 MB||$29.95||Download|
|Registry Easy||4.99 MB||$39.95||Download|
|Registry Winner||2.65 MB||$34.95||Download|
|Registry Fix||1.2 MB||$27.00||Download|
|Registry Genius||1.53 MB||$39.95||Download|
|Registry Toolkit||0.8 MB||$29.95||Download|
|Registry Gear||1.5 MB||$39.95||Download|
|Registry Care||0.6 MB||$39.99||Download|
Research and Testing
This report of the best registry cleaners is prepared after reading thousands of registry cleaner reviews on the internet, forums, blogs and other places on the net. We also tested those in the top ten list, on our lab computers. However, every computer is unique and has different software components installed. We recommend to go with the best registry cleaner software for best results on your computer. Those in the top ten list are the best registry cleaners.
Reference and Glossary
Registry cleaner – A software designed to remove redundant or unwanted items from Windows registry.
Windows registry – A hierarchical database that stores configuration settings and options on Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Malware – Malicious software like spyware, virus, trojan, etc.
Scareware – Scam and fraud software like fake registry cleaners, fake antivirus, etc.